There is no way around it, as you get older you have to change the makeup you use to something much lighter. You still want definition but it's going to look more subtle. It never ceases to amaze me how a little bit of mascara and a few other tools can produce a glow that is quite lovely.
Whether you have dry, normal or oily skin, a richer mixture of a basic skin cream will help your skin stay moist and pliable. Read all of the labels of the creams in the drug stores, as well as in department stores like Macy's and Nordstrom. Many of those counters have samples that you can take home and try out. If you like a particular cream you should head back to the store and buy it. Keeping your skin soft and pliable is part of taking care of yourself. I've found that Estee Lauder and Shiseido have skin creams that work very well for the mature skin.
If you are not used to wearing a foundation I definitely recommend you have a makeover in one of the department stores. Go to Sephora or Nordstrom. Foundation is tricky - you have to consider colour and viscosity and a host of other things. If you know what you are doing then by all means go to your fave place for your foundation. But don't use what you have always used, when your skin was younger. Time to move up and have some fun with the journey!
The deliciousness of the colours in makeup refers to your eyes, cheeks and lips. First of all let's look at makeup to enhance the eyes. I definitely recommend a very thin black eyeline on the top eyelid, as close to the lashes as possible. This looks fabulous. It takes a lot of practice to get the line thin; I recommend you use a pencil for this job. And always keep a pencil sharpener close. And sharpen your pencils often! You get a much softer line and it's easier to get the line across the entire lid. After you "love the line", with your eyeshadow brush, select a very subtle pale pink colour of eyeshadow and sweep it over the entire top lid. You could put a slightly deeper colour of eyeshadow across the bone just above the eyelid, but if this sounds foreign to you I would keep it as simple as possible and go now to using some mascara. Just a little dab - you don't need a lot. I would choose black. It shows up a bit more. I LOVE mascara - did you ever hear the song from La Cage Aux Folles - the Bird Cage - when the entertainer in the movie sang about when he felt very down and the day was dull - he put on some mascara and suddenly life was fabulous again? I LOVE that song.
I would use a really light shade of blusher - on a mature skin use cream blush! A really pretty shade of pink. Looking in the mirror, hold your head down slightly and put a line of blush just below that bone that you can feel in your cheek. Then gently massage the blush into your skin using light upward strokes. Lovely!
Now the lips. A lip liner is very useful because mature lips are such that the lipstick you apply can bleed into the tiny lines around the lips and look awful. Use a lip liner that is as close to the pink lipstick you choose and apply both. The lip liner will prevent the lipstick bleeding into the lines around your mouth. Make sure your lipstick is full of lovely emollients so that the lipstick can actually feed your lips with moisture. My favorite lipstick is by Chanel. Beatiful colours, and so rich with moisture producing emollients. Yum.
Now look in the mirror. Do you look fabulous? I bet you do. Even a tiny bit of colour enhances our features, and when our makeup is applied carefully with some thought it can give us a lift like nothing else can. Fabulous! The idea is to look as natural as possible and makeup can help us look that way!
There are a zillion other ways to use makeup - what I have described above is the very basic look for every day. I will share tips and information of what kinds of makeup to use when you go out or for special occasions at a later date.
I am available to help and advise you on a one-to-one basis with your makeup, clothing choices as well as other life issues. I will shop for you and have some clothes ready for your body type and the colours that will make you look fabulous. I charge an hourly fee and we can negotiate that at the appropriate time. It is my very great honour to be writing this blog for you and remember - Be Fun Fit & Fabulous!
No comments:
Post a Comment